undefined

Friday, September 10, 2010

Garage Sale was a success ( a little long winded but fun memories)

We had our first garage sale today. (If you don't count the one that was at our church to fund raise for our year in missions). I know it is silly but I was rather intimidated by the idea of having a garage sale. I pushed it off all summer until now when things are pretty soggy. I really wanted my garage back though so I was forced to do it. I lay awake this morning from the time Zach left for work at 530am worrying. I tried desperately to command my mind into quiet submission but it just would not obey. I didn't have a cash box. What do I do with the money? How do I keep my kids in sight at all times with a bunch of strangers milling around? What if nobody comes? I finally gave up and got up. I know I know. There was no need to worry those things were not a problem at all. I kept the bills in my pocket and Samuel would not leave the quarters so I always knew where he was. (almost)

Samuel decided that he was the keeper of the money (coins only by the way) to the point that he asked everyone who came to our garage sale if they would like to have some. He even chased our first customer back to his car to hand him a fist full of quarters he thought the man might like to have.
I tried to make him understand that the people were giving us money and we were giving them our stuff we didn't need anymore. So he started changing his tactic to welcoming them to our garage sale and asking if they had money to give him.

Mom made molasses cookies to sell but we only sold one bag. My kids however were sustained on them for the duration. Bad mom. Especially since I think Ellie has had about 2 cookies in her entire life prior to today. Every time I turned around she had another bag and before we could get it from her she would quickly take a big bite out of one so we couldn't very well return it to the customer pile. Smart girl!!!!
My favorite cookie moment was when she used the bathroom scale to reach the cookies.
I actually had fun in a really weird sort of way. You meet some interesting people. Some serious garage salers:
There are the collectors who showed up before we opened, knew exactly what they were looking for, and tried to haggle me down before I even started. Thank you eBay for educating me on the value of my junk.
There are the collectors who showed up when we opened and were kicking themselves when I said, "sorry the other guy cleaned me out", his response "ooh that Art got here before me again"
There are the serious guys who try to be subtle while they use there little scan guns on all of my media.
There are the foreigners who pretend they can't read a sign posted to a table with numbers on it and give you a quarter of what you are asking. I kind of thought numbers were universal. When you correct it they say "oh but this is OK yeah". Um I have been open for 5 minutes, maybe if you come back at closing.
There are the foreigners who come and actually don't understand. They offer way more than I am asking. I could have taken it but she was so sweet and I felt so bad I gave it to her for half of what I was asking.
There are the elderly who just drop by to tell you a joke and have a conversation. Sweet man.
There are the elderly who come by to buy all kinds of misc. stuff which they pile into their overflowing vehicle, then come back to see what else there is. When spotting a phone she says "oh I don't need another phone I live in a trailer, I don't have any room for more stuff." I glance at her vehicle and the stuff piled to the roof in the back seat from other garage sales and I chuckle, inside of course.
There are the drive by garage salers. We had a lot of those towards the end. It kind of gave me the creeps to be perfectly honest.
The kids did great. I don't know what I was so worried about. They loved all the people and hanging out in the entrance to our garage all day. Samuel had to be reigned in a couple of times for his curious questions and comments. Although inside I am going, "he is almost three and he wants to understand how the world works, that does make me happy"
One time a rather hippyish man with long grey hair came in and Samuel said "you might need to get a haircut soon, my daddy cuts my hair" and then he went right on playing with his quarters. It never crossed his mind that he shouldn't comment on it. The man didn't seem to bothered but he left rather quickly after that. Oooops. Well he could use a hair cut, it's true, but only a three year-old is honest enough to say it, rude as that may have been.
The bulk of our stuff was gone in 2 hours. After that, every time I thought maybe we should quit for the day 2 or 3 cars would pull up and take more stuff. It sprinkled on and off. The first time it quit we started moving the tables out but the second we put them down it started raining again. Eventually we just left it all in the garage.
We came out with $434 for a bunch of stuff that we didn't want. What a blessing.

No comments: