undefined

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Grandma


While we were on the Island I spent the most time I have spent with my Grandma King in a long time. I have to admit I dread spending time with her. It breaks my heart to see Grandma like this. I know she is still there, it is just hard to remember.
This weekend Aunty Pat and Uncle Ted were here, they used to live down the road from Grandma in Winnipeg. When they were getting ready to leave Grandma's house she requested a ride home. They had to convince her there were not enough seats in the car. Auntie Robyn (who was staying at Grandma's) had to promise to give her a ride home. Grandma proceeded to put on her shoes and coat and head out to the car. Auntie Robyn drove her around town for 20 minutes. I was supposed to hide when they came back in so Grandma would go to bed. Ellie got out of bed and needed the potty though. Right as I tucked her back in they started to open the door. I slipped into the bathroom and tried to no avail to keep Josiah quiet. He wouldn't have it, he wanted to eat. When I tried to sneak back out Grandma said "I thought I heard a little one in there your auntie Jo (Robyn) is in the kitchen." She then went to bed. She didn't remember why they had gone for a drive.
I love Grandma, but I really want to remember her the way she used to be. I want to remember the summers we spent at Grandma's house all of my childhood. The roast beef dinners with Yorkshire pudding and coleslaw. Making Wacky cake and apple crisp. Getting up early to sit with Grandma and watch reruns of Saved by the Bell and Little House on the Prairie. Playing Spite and Malice or Scrabble. Grandma won most of the time. Grandma and Papa lovingly bickering back and forth. These are the memories I really want to have.
Grandma's best moments now seem to be when she is holding a baby in her arms. I am glad to have had those moments now with her and Josiah. Grandma I love you.

No comments: