undefined

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Nesting!

Well I have been doing a lot of nesting in the last 2 months since Zach came back from Portland, we found out what we were having and I quit throwing up. I knew my days were numbered until this baby came or I just couldn't move anymore. No the baby has not arrived but I am getting to the end of my energy. My midwife wants my feet up more and I am just so exhausted that the nesting process has slowed down significantly. Thankfully I have finished about 80% of the house.

I have gone through almost every room in the house purging, reorganizing and cleaning out cupboards and closets.
Here is the kitchen after I reorganized and made room for the baby bottles and inevitable collection of baby items that end up in the kitchen.

Kids Bathroom Closet
I have also finished the Kids' bathroom, Hall Closets, Living Room, Laundry Room, Cleaning Closet, Master Bathroom. The only thing left to do is the Master closet and Bedroom. A few final details on the "Big Kids'" Room, and the nursery.

My nesting came with a long honey do list for my honey as well as a list of things we have been talking about for a while. We have been trying to create more storage to make things more accessible and functional. In the dining room we added cupboards for kids arts & crafts as well as homeschool items.
I love this. Before I had all of the crayons, coloring books, stickers, play dough stuffed in a cupboard so tight that we honestly never used any of it. It was too much of a hassle to get out.

Our next dilemma was putting the kids in one room and still having enough room for toys and books and clothes, not to mention space to play. We initially bought a bunk bed that had a trundle underneath and dresser, desk and shelves in the middle. It became apparent pretty quickly that the unit was too much for our little room. Samuel wasn't ready to be up on the top bunk so he was still sleeping in his toddler bed. The trundle slid all over on our wood floor and wasn't deep enough to keep blankets in the drawer with the mattress. It also did not leave very much play space.

So we put it up for sale and started rethinking things. I had an idea about toddler bunk beds. We only found one place that made them and it would have been close to $1200. So we started toying with the idea of Zach making them. Zach's friend Brian thought it was a great idea and was willing to help him. So after about $200 in parts.
Before

After
Zach and Brian spent a good day and a half building these. Zach spent another week whenever he was home sanding and staining. I think they turned out amazing. The kids are super excited to start sleeping in them. Samuel will sleep in them for the first time tonight. As for Ellie, we will try and make the transition a couple of weeks before the baby is due, to work out some of the kinks of them sharing a room.

The next issue was organization for the closet.
We had plenty of space it just was not very functional. After shopping around and working on a plan this is what we came up with.
We switched to bifold doors that Zach had to cut down to the right size, stain and install. We bought the center unit from Ikea and then cut the shelves and rods to the right size. Zach again did an awesome job.

We are pretty close to being ready for this baby to come. I just have a few more things I would like to finish.  

No comments: